History of Battery A

Campaign History of Battery A  |  Wartime Roster of Battery A  |  Unit Histories

Battery A
(Ellis Light Artillery or Ellis Flying Artillery)
10th North Carolina State Troops
(1st Regiment North Carolina Artillery)

      In April 1861 this battery of light artillery was organized at Raleigh and called the "Ellis Light Artillery" and "Ellis Flying Artillery" in honor of John W. Ellis, then Governor of North Carolina. Equipped with two 12-pounder howitzers, three 6-pounder bronze smooth bore guns, and one 3-inch rifle gun from the Fayetteville Arsenal, the battery was mustered in at Raleigh May 8, 1861 for three years or the war and officially designated Company A, 10th Regiment N. C. State Troops (1st  Regiment N. C. Artillery).

        On July 29, 1861 the battery left Raleigh for Suffolk, Virginia. From Suffolk the company moved to Camp Fisher, near Smithfield, Virginia, where it remained for the balance of 1861. On March 8, 1962 the battery received orders to cross the James River and join General John B. Magruder at Yorktown. Here it was attached to Brigadier General Paul J. Semmes’ Brigade of Major General Lafayette McLaws’ Division. While at Yorktown, Captain Stephen Dodson Ramseur was appointed Colonel of the 49th Regiment N. C. Troops, and 1st Lieutenant Basil C. Manly was elected Captain. At a meeting the men decided to rename their company "Manly’s Battery." It was under this designation that the battery served for the rest of the war.

        After an active part in the engagement at Williamsburg on May 4, 1862, the company retired with the army and encamped at Price’s Farm on the Chickahominy River, below Richmond. After its participation in the battle of Seven Pines, May 31, 1862, its effective strength was reported as three officers and ninety-five men. During the Seven Days’ Battles around Richmond, June 26 – July 1, 1862, the battery was only engaged at the battle of Savage Station on June 29. After these engagements, when Lee divided his army into two wings, the battery remained attached to Semmes’ Brigade, which was attached to General James Longstreet’s command. When the army was re-organized later in 1862, the battery was attached to Colonel Henry Coalter Cabell’s Artillery Battalion, McLaws’ Division, Longstreet’s Corps. Here it remained for the rest of the war.

        Now a part of the Army of Northern Virginia, the battery shared in the battles fought by that army. It was at Crampton’s Gap on September 14, 1862, at Sharpsburg on September 17, 1862, and at Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862. On October 4 the ranks were filled when 1st Company G, 40th Regiment N. C. Troops (3rd Regiment N. C. Artillery), Captain Whitnel P. Lloyd’s Company, was disbanded and fifty-five men were attached to this battery. In 1863 it was at Chancellorsville and Salem Church, May 1 – 5. Just prior to the Gettysburg campaign the battery was reduced to four guns because of general scacity of horses, equipment, and men throughout the army. With two 12-pounder howitzers and two 3-inch rifles, the battery fired 1,146 rounds during the Gettysburg campaign. It was actively engaged on the field at Gettysburg on July 2 and 3 and during the retreat supported the cavalry at Funkstown, Maryland, on July 10. In 1864, after the campaign from the Wilderness to Petersburg, the battery went into position in the lines east of Petersburg. Upon the evacuation of that city the battery joined the retreating army to Appomattox Court House. Here the men received news of the surrender and orders to bury their guns and burn the carriages. Upon completion of this task the men mounted their horses and rode off for Lincolnton, North Carolina. Thus, although included in the surrender, they were never officially paroled.


Reference: North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 - A Roster edited by Manarin and Jordan.
Compiled and Edited by: Lisa Van Goethem and David Stanley.

Campaign History of Battery A  |  Wartime Roster of Battery A  |  Unit Histories